Saturday, January 12, 2008

Wisdom

When I was a kid I wanted to be a cop.Then an astronaut. Then a chemist. I thought of how proud I'll be when I'll be in high school. Then I would go off to university. The older I got the more I realised how very little options there were out there for me. When I got to high school It wasn't how I imagined it to be. The work was very dull and boring. All my friends were interested in was losing their virginity. I wanted to be an actress, then an artist, then a fashion designer, then a music interviewer. Then when high school was over I realised how expensive university was. I realized how expensive EVERYTHING was.

A friend of my boyfriend came to visit today. He's very University educated but very worldly uneducated. He's very sexist and fascist and I feel bad for him because of that. There's more hate in the world then there used to be a generation ago. If people helped each other rather then stepping on each other we would be happier. I think it's just because he got bullied and tortured when he was growing up. Anyhow as much as I disagreed with his sexist views I did agree with one of them, in that the education system has become watered down. More people can graduate that otherwise would be flunkies, but what difference does that make? What can you get with a high school education these days? Not much. My dad said when he was a kid they had to do algebra without a calculator. When they failed one class they failed all and had to repeat the year. It's too easy now. That's why so many freshman college students are so immature. This along with pop culture is making young people very unhappy and rebellious. What does a young person have these days? All the simple milestones in life don't mean anything to anyone anymore. The high school diploma, first car, the house with a white picket fence, marriage and babies are unwanted. They are goals of the past. Media tells us today that the career in business is the goal we need. We need tons of money so we can be the best we can be. Perfect all the things that are horribly wrong with us.

I mentioned earlier that we pay for everything that used to be free. The old saying goes "the best things in life are free. " That used to be true. It's not the good old days anymore where people used to help one another out. It's online dating services, genetically altered massed produced foods, air conditioning, purified water, private property, do not enter, every where I look. I feel there's nowhere to turn to. I have the knowledge to know what's going on in reality. I question everything. Critical thinking is a good way to learn. It's a good way to be paranoid too. But with everything you have to take a grain of salt. In order to be wise, one must learn about the tragedies of the world as well as the miracles. You have to learn from your mistakes.

I'm worried that people are forgetting about these old sayings. Our society is taught to obey. There are stiff regulations everywhere. We need to enjoy simpler things . It's OK to live humble. Talk to an elderly person about the past. Ask for advice. They might have been born in a different time, but they're still alive now. Having lived for so long, they've learned a lot about humanity. This knowledge is called wisdom. A knowledge that can make you at peace with the world. It can make you happy.

No comments: